About the Field house project
In early 2013 the Saint John Exhibition Park Association (SJEA) initiated a review of their 2010 study, “The Field House @ Exhibition Park”, a proposal to construct a multi-purpose indoor sports and recreation facility.A steering committee composed of SJEA board members and other interested representatives from business, organized sports groups and staff of the City of Saint John Department of Leisure Services were given the task of reviewing the original work, recommending changes to the conceptual plan, updating operating cost and revenue estimates and preparing new estimates of capital costs.
The updated project now proposed is based on the following principles:
1. One of a kind recreation facility east of Montreal - serving people of all ages and all abilities for soccer, track, walkers, runners, lacrosse, ultimate and many other groups,
2. A “Saint John Facility” with a regional recreational impact – serves citizens and athletes from across southern NB & attracts people to our area.
3. Self-Sustaining operating model - operations approach with ability to be financially self-sustaining without tax payer subsidy
4. Revitalization of an historic asset (Exhibition park) into a new community recreation site for our region
Benefits of a Multipurpose Field House
- · Ties into the recreational needs studies carried out by the City of Saint John.
- · Positively impacts the quality of life for our region.
- · Has a positive impact on the development of sports in our region.
- · Would be a unique regional facility serving all of South Western New Brunswick.
- · Shows how public and private partnerships work for the benefit of the whole community.
The following ownership and operating model will be in place to own and manage the facility.
1. Establishment of a not for profit charitable foundation to hold the assets of the field house including land, capital for construction and the ultimate building and assets of the field house.
2. The foundation would be overseen by a management board which would be responsible for the effective management of the facility. This board would include stakeholder representatives of the community and sporting groups.
Refinement of design / Securing Capital Funding
- Detailed design
- Approval of provincial/federal funding
- Community capital fund raising plan